Dark circles are often the bane of a woman’s morning makeup routine—covering them with concealer until they disappear, temporarily. Did you know reducing the appearance of dark circles is one of the most difficult challenges in cosmetic dermatology? Though it’s impossible to completely and permanently erase dark circles, there are very attainable solutions for making them less noticeable that don’t even require makeup.
The Causes of Dark Circles
There are three primary causes of dark circles:
- Hyperpigmentation—excess melanin production due to either sun damage or inflammation
- Thinning of skin
- Excessive vascularity which makes the blood vessels more visible
Dark circles may become more prominent as a result of certain lifestyle habits like diet (high levels of salt and/or alcohol), lack of sleep, stress, sun exposure, allergies, skincare ingredients that damage the skin’s surface, or excessive build-up of dead skin cells that can absorb light, and/or heredity.
How to Reduce and Minimize Dark Circles
Though individual products may claim to deliver miraculous results, this is just not realistic. The best approach is to use a combination of products that are specifically designed to work together to deliver the best possible results.
First, Build Your 3-Step Routine
- A well-formulated eye treatment to address thin skin condition—Eye Wrinkle Corrector features potent peptides, rich vitamins, and naturally derived nutrients to smooth, hydrate, plump, and brighten the eye area.
- A prescriptive Retinoid (Tretinoin, Retinoic Acid) or high potency Retinol to brighten skin tone—Wrinkle & Radiance Remedy contains high levels of pure Retinol, Vitamin C, and fruit seed extracts to reduce the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles, while brightening skin tone to reduce the appearance of dark circles.
- A nutrient and antioxidant-rich serum to brighten skin tone and address thin skin—Retinol Vitamin C Concentrate combines pure Retinol and highly concentrated Vitamin C into an oil-based serum to boost the results of other treatment products by as much as 20% within just 2 weeks.
Add a Rx or OTC Hydroquinone product if the dark circles are the result of hyperpigmentation. With 2% Hydroquinone, Dark Spot Corrector improves the appearance of dark spots resulting from hyperpigmentation.
This combination of products will help to:
- Reduce excessive pigmentation
- Brighten skin tone with a high-potency retinoid
- Nourish the skin’s own ability to promote plump skin
- Support the skin’s own anti-inflammatory process
- Strengthen and maintain a healthy moisture barrier
When incorporating highly active ingredients into your routine, start with every other day usage. Then, once your skin has adjusted to the products (after about 2 weeks), increase to once daily usage. For the best results, use twice daily. Gradually move your products closer to the bottom lash line and onto the hood of the eye. However, if you experience any irritation, back off and resume your topical use.
Then, Evaluate Your Lifestyle
Effective skincare will help you achieve and maintain your best results. But, there are also lifestyle adjustments that will help to improve the appearance of your dark circles.
- Wear sunscreen daily (UVA/UVB SPF 30-50) and sunglasses
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep
- Minimize your salt and alcohol intake
- Take a daily oral probiotic if you deal with reoccurring stress